Friday, October 19, 2007

Home Again!

After a 9 hour flight (45 minutes spent on the ground in Ottawa), a bus ride to Union Station and a 2 1/2 train trip, I got back to Kingston at 1 a.m. this morning (6 a.m. in Britain so 24 hours awake!). I can't believe it's all over! It was an amazing experience and one that will stay with me for the rest of my life (along with the 2700 photos I took!). We managed to see and do so much and, as ambitious as it looked, my itinerary worked!! We drove 4045 miles and covered more ground by foot, sea and train! It's an amazing country and we could have spent 5 more weeks exploring all the little corners we didn't have time to see. We took one or two things off the itinerary to make room for other things we discovered or to spend more time enjoying the place where we were. The days at the Rural Retreats when we just wandered were a wonderful respite from driving and the "tourist" scene. (Still in denial of the fact that we too were tourists!) We decided not to go to Nottingham. Mom and Dad had been there and I wanted to spend more time in Carlton (where my grandmother was born). We watched a TV show the other night about the 20 worst and best places to live in Britain and Nottingham made #4 on the worst list so maybe that wasn't such a bad decision! I know I will return someday and I have seen the places and sites that were high on my list of priorities.
I'm wondering how many of you will continue to check in and follow my progress with laundry, dishes and the day to day routines of reality! I have enjoyed sharing my thoughts and impressions of Britain and Ireland with you all. Words can't capture all we've seen and done but I've done my best! Now I start planning the European Expedition! Stay tuned!