Friday, May 9, 2008

The Hills Are Alive....May 9th

...with the sound of tourists!  I'm not usually lured by gimmicky tourist attractions but The Sound of Music is my Achilles heel and being offered a tour was a temptation I couldn't resist!  It has been my all-time favourite movie for as long as I can remember and when I watch it, the volume is up high so I can sing along at the top of my lungs!!  Today was a fantasy come true for me - I was actually "on the set" of The Sound of Music!!! 

A shuttle picked us up at our hotel and took us to the meeting place.  Seems the bus was full so we were sent to a small 8 seat van.  Initially I was a bit upset - I had been prepared for the big bus, the music and, supposedly, clips from the movie.  But, the "tour gods" knew what they were doing and, it turned out to be a better tour because we were smaller.  We got to destinations before the bus of 72 "tourists" and got our photos etc. and were able to stop at a couple of places that the bus couldn't stop at!  And did I really want to be riding this all day?!  Our subdued, unmarked gray van was MUCH better!

Sound Of Music 074

The couple we met in Munich and again last night here in Salzburg(and who we discovered were staying at our hotel when we met them at breakfast this a.m.!!!) met up with us at lunch time and were quite disappointed with the big bus - noisy, time consuming getting everyone on and off etc.  AND, the only thing shown on the video screen on the bus was the view of the road in front of the bus!!  We sure lucked out there!

So...off we went. We had been to Mirabell Gardens last night which was a good thing since the bus/van couldn't go there.  As well as the steps and the fountain, there is the archway the children run through in the Doh re mi song...

Salzburg 2 009

...and the statues at the gate where Maria strikes a pose!  The gardens are very popular and there are obviously a lot of Sound of Music fans (lots of people recreating the pose!)

Salzburg 2 011

We had also already seen the churchyard where the von Trapps hid when they escaped...and where Rolf found them!  Didn't see Rolf!

Dad 2 243

We headed out of downtown Salzburg to the setting for the "falling in the lake" scene - Leopoldskron Palace.  I kept expecting to see Captain von Trapp (aka Christopher Plummer!!) step out onto the balcony or to hear the shrieks of laughter from Maria and the children as they paddled along the lake!!  Gorgeous!  (The next two pictures are Dad's - I liked them better than mine!)

 Dad 2 218

The scene with the kids hanging out of the trees was also filmed in this area.

Dad 2 219

The gazebo had been left on this location but, Harvard bought the property and wasn't too keen on all the SOM fans dancing around their lawns!!  So, it was moved to the grounds of Hellbrunn Palace - a 17th century hunting castle.  I had a "moment" when I came through the gate and saw the gazebo standing there.  That has to be one of my favourite scenes in the movie (as well as Maria and Captain von Trapp's love song) and, if I'd have been alone,  I would have burst into song.  "I am 16, going on 17...!!"  I teared up a bit just being there!

Sound Of Music 023

The gazebo is locked now - ever since an overly exuberant "tourist" broke her ankle trying to recreate the scene!!!  But, I was still able to put myself inside!  See my leg and foot?!

Sound Of Music 027

Nonnberg Abbey is the oldest convent in eastern Europe and was the exterior scene for Maria's convent.  The nuns are Benedictine and did not want the camera crews and fuss of filming disturbing their way of life so interior shots were done in Hollywood.  The "children at the gate" scene was filmed there and the real Maria married Captain von Trapp there.

Sound Of Music 037 

From here we left the city and our guide put in the Sound of Music soundtrack!  For me, it was the ultimate experience to be driving through the spectacular Austrian countryside to the sound of Julie Andrews singing my favourite songs!!!  A few more tears were shed!

Sound Of Music 019

Sound Of Music 020

Sound Of Music 045

We drove along Lake Fuschl on our way to St. Gilgen.  Much of the opening scene in the movie was filmed along here and I could see why!!  I REALLY wanted to jump out of the van and twirl around in this field!!

Sound Of Music 055

Looking out over St. Gilgen.

Sound Of Music 068

Our final stop was Mondsee and Mondsee Cathedral, the site of the wedding scene.  We had our lunch at a sidewalk cafe (how will I EVER get used to eating indoors again!!) and had the best apple struedel for dessert!!

Sound Of Music 083

The big bus arrived while we were eating along with a couple of other tour groups so getting a shot of the interior of the church (people free!!) was a real challenge!  I actually ran back across 5 minutes before our van was to leave and the church was EMPTY!!!  I finally had a shot where I could mentally add Liesl and Maria and the Captain...and the music!  A perfect ending to my fantasy day!

Salzburg 2 003