Monday, September 17, 2007

Final Day in London!


Lots to get crossed of the list today and man, did we fly!! We've walked 8.6 km so far and still have another excursion before the day is done!!
We started our day "tubing it" up to Notting Hill Gate - didn't see Hugh Grant or Julia Roberts though!!! Walked up Portobello Road to the market and picked up some food for lunch and to eat on our trip to Wales tomorrow.
On to King's Cross and a highlight for me - Harry Potter's trolley at Platform 9 3/4!! Dad is trying to get a photo out but has been having some technical difficulties. It will probably be the only photo of me you see for this entire trip so it's a special one!! The movies had been filmed there but the trolley doesn't seem to be a huge tourist attraction...YET!!!
Back to the hotel for some lunch and to drop off our items before our "audience" at Buckingham Palace! When I woke up this morning, I couldn't figure out why my neck was so stiff. I figured it out when we entered the first room. I have spent the past 5 days looking up much of the time! The ceilings are pieces of art all on their own!! So ornate and spectacular!
Buckingham Palace is another piece of history with many antiques and original artworks. The silk wall coverings made me just want to reach out and touch...but not allowed!!! In the ballroom, the chandeliers were spectacular!! Each one had 9000 pieces of lead crystal and 120 lights! I'd love to attend a party there!!!
These tourist places all have audio tours now and the palace one was quite well done. As we were ready to climb the main staircase, the most majestic music began to play in my ears!!! Despite my casual dress, I felt quite regal as I ascended!!! The music certainly added to the experience!!
The tour ended in the gardens and the gift shop!!! A few £ dropped there!! We wandered the pathway back off the estate - stopping for some "Buckingham Palace Ice Cream" along the way?!! The Queen is certainly doing all she can to make money for the upkeep of the palace!
It was overcast and quite brisk today so ice cream wasn't really something we were in need of but it was an experience to sit on a bench on the Queen's estate and eat "her" ice cream!!!
Back to the hotel for a bit of a rest before we head out to The Globe! I got tickets for The Merchant of Venice and we will be standing in the yard - where the peasants would have been!! Apparently people come and go at will so I'm hoping it won't be a late night.
We head out tomorrow morning to Heathrow to pick up our rental car then on to Wales for the night. I may be doing my first driving in Britain tomorrow - send up some prayers!!!