Thursday, September 13, 2007

Somewhere In Time!


I was so exhausted when I finally fell asleep last night that my last thought was "Will I be able to do 5 weeks of this?!!" Amazing what a good night's sleep and adrenaline do!! I was expecting Runneymede to be the highlight of today's excursion but was VERY wrong. Windsor Castle is not just another of the Queen's homes - it is saturated with history. British history has always fascinated me and I will admit to some tears of awe as I stood in rooms that Charles II had had decorated or where Henry VIII had dined. The armour and original paintings from centuries ago took my breath away! And, I was pleased to know that Teacher Kim still lives inside me - I kept thinking how much my class would enjoy the castle...then quickly imagined TAKING a class on a field trip there!!!
I had asked our guide if we would be stopping at Runnymede and she looked at me as if I were a bit insane. "It's just a field!" she said. Perhaps, but I still saw the tents and King John and all the various lords and their pages gathered around the parchment!!
On to Hampton Court Palace Gardens and a "tea" that included a scone, clotted tea and jam - how refined! Even the sandwiches were classy - egg and watercress etc.! The gardens were glorious - even this late in the season. We wandered and were amazed to see GOLDEN ROD displayed proudly in one of the beds?!
Our "takeaway" dinner is waiting and my time is up for today. Leeds Castle, Dover and Canterbury are tomorrow so there will be more!!! I took 130 photos today - and fortunately they weren't allowed inside the castle!! Tomorrow should be even better! Who's coming to my slide show!!