Wednesday, September 12, 2007

LONDON ENGLAND!!


Hi all! I have 10 minutes online to capture an incredibly overwhelming and often emotional day!! Arrived at Gatwick at 7:30 a.m. (London time) after a 2 hour delay in Toronto, turbulence over the Atlantic (nothing like West Jet though!) and not being able to sleep!! BUT, I saw the sunrise over Ireland - can't beat that!! Checked into the hotel by 10:30 - a lovely place with a little balcony that overlooks a street straight out of My Fair Lady (Georgian townhouses)..."On the Street Where You Live"! Window boxes overflowing with pansies and geraniums etc.! The whole city is street after street of amazing architecture and history! Walked up to Buckingham Palace - THAT was an real awe inspiring moment - all these years I'd seen it on TV?! Arrived just in time to see the Changing of the Guard! I've loved A.A. Milne's poem since I was a child and so this was a moment! Great music and pageantry - didn't see much of the actual changing...all those tourists?!!!
Got some souvenir and Christmas shopping crossed off the list and started to figure out London transit - told that buses are the way to go. After many false starts, ended up on Oxford Street and in Topshop!! So many familiar, high end shops to brouse!! Rode a double decker home past other familiar sights and streets. Almost too much for my sleep deprived brain to handle!! Tried to nap but it just isn't happening! 27 hours and counting!! Birthday dinner tonight at The Rubens - just down from Buckingham Palace - check out The Old Masters Carvery menu!!!
"Sleep in" in the morning then off to Windsor Castle. My whole body aches from all the walking today (and dragging WAY too much luggage with me!!) so it will be nice to sit on a bus for awhile!! I'll keep you posted and work on getting some photos out?