Saturday, April 19, 2008

New Worlds to Explore - April 19th

Yesterday was a quiet day spent cleaning up the apartment and preparing to move on.  For those of you who have worked with me or lived with me, you know that I like to "spread out" and I had to wrangle all my belongings (and the few purchases I have made) back into a suitcase and backpack for train travel!!  Not an easy task!  I've already decided to mail a few things home that I haven't used!

It was overcast, cool and rained off and on but I did make one little trip down the road to a village called Regusse.  It's claim to fame are two windmills - one 11th century and the other 12th.  (Not sure which one is which?!  One doesn't have blades but, even though I waited until after 2 to go, there wasn't anyone around to answer my questions and no plaque to explain.)  It was quite blustery and wet but I braved the elements for a couple of quick shots and feel satisfied with my journeys over the past two weeks.

Regusse and the windmills

There was a WILD thunderstorm last night and I was beginning to regret the Gothic movies and novels I have read.  As the wind howled through the chateau and the rain pelted on the roof and skylights, I was really feeling like the doomed heroine trapped in the manor house!!

The sun was shining this morning again and I had a good trip to Aix en Provence.  The car rental place and the train station were on opposite sides of Cours Mirabeau so I didn't do as much sightseeing and picture taking as I'd planned.  It just isn't the same where you are dragging a suitcase and wearing a heavy backpack!!  I did like the fountain in Place Charles de Gaulle though!!

Aix en Provence and Marseille 004

There was a not very nice lady at the train station who made no effort to be patient and kind when I asked her, very politely and in French, to please slow down and explain again what she was saying.  I had heard the word "autobus" and was really confused!!!  Seems I had to take a bus to Marseille (even though I had just seen a train leave for there?!) then catch a train to Arles?!  Is it any wonder I was confused - no matter what the language!!

The bus left shortly after that and, after two weeks of driving (I think I drove almost 1700 km in that time!!) , it was nice to sit back and let someone else drive!!  It took about 45 minutes to get to the station in Marseille and then I had an hour wait for the train.  50 minutes later I was in Arles after another short trip along the Mediterranean!

I am just around the corner from the Amphitheatre and am quite impressed with Arles so far.  So much to see and do!!  Shops and cafes on every street and so many streets going here and there.  I went out without a map!  Fortunately I just need to find the amphitheatre and I can find "home"!

Arles 011

Arles 015

They are doing restoration on the Amphitheatre as well as the Roman theatre. 

Arles 009

Lots of people but there seem to be a lot of pedestrian only areas - or areas where the pedestrians just take over the streets - so it doesn't seem crowded or overwhelming!

Arles 006

And there is something here for everyone!

Arles 029

Tomorrow will be spent exploring Arles WITH a map.  Van Gogh painted many of his greatest works here (although the locals apparently weren't very kind to him?!) and Christian LaCroix is a native of Arles (found his shop while I was wandering tonight)!  Churches and Roman and early Christian cemeteries!!  Can't wait!