Sunday, April 13, 2008

Paris!

Paris (Kim) 232 C'est magnifique and il est vraiment le printemps ici!  Warm enough today for a short sleeved shirt and a windbreaker at times in various places.  Another gorgeous day!!  (The above photo was taken later in the afternoon when some clouds finally rolled in!)

I spent the day touring the city.  With so many landmarks, it is a great city to navigate.  I haven't used the map I picked up at the front desk - I just keep myself headed towards the Louvre or L'Opera! Head southwest and you will see the Eiffel Tower, east and there is Notre Dame!   I walked down to the Louvre (10 min.) and wandered through le Jardin des Tuileries.  Tulips and hyacinths, petunias and marigolds - colours galore!!  Lots of school groups too.  Can you imagine taking your class to the Louvre?!!  Makes the ROM seem like an amusement park!Paris (Kim) 050

 Paris (Kim) 105

I am not a fan of bus trips but when time is limited and the "things to see and do" list is long, there is nothing better!   I took one of the open top double decker buses - a hop on, hop off affair - and managed to see all the main attractions.  This one had a very good commentary so I got some of the historical connections to places and areas.  And, after seeing two motorbikes crash right in front of us, I was glad to have someone else do the driving!  Paris (Kim) 199 We drove along the Seine to Notre Dame.  A magnificent building - shades of Westminster Abbey (and now I can compare them!). Paris (Kim) 078 Through the Latin Quarter and past the Musee d'Orsay.  I have tickets to visit there with Mom and Dad at the end of May and that will be another highlight!  At one point in the tour we passed the Rodin Gallery and I caught a glimpse of The Thinker in the garden...still thinking!!  What a life he has!

Down the Champs Elysees with the Arc de Triomphe in the distance!  Just like every movie or news clip I've ever seen!  Even better from the front of the top deck of a double decker bus!! I got off and strolled along the Champs Elysees.  Saw Dior and Chanel shops but no back to school outfit yet!!  Paris (Kim) 101

When we approached the Eiffel Tower, I knew I was truly in Paris!!  It is one of those sights that must be seen to be fully appreciated! There were HORDES of people!!  Sure am glad I wasn't inclined to go to the top!! I don't do lineups - even in Paris! Paris (Kim) 122

Time has lost all sense of urgency!  My body doesn't know when to demand food and I wander until I get tired and not because of any deadlines!  Even doing the bus tour, I managed to cover 8 km on foot!  I will sleep well tonight!  It was almost 7 before I returned to my room tonight with some quiche from the boulangerie/patisserie just down the street. 

Tomorrow I say au revoir to Paris.  It is definitely a city I will be happy to return to.  And, I have over 200 photos to remind me of this memorable time!  I head to Aix en Provence by train to pick up a rental car for two weeks.  Then it's off to my 16th century chateau in Alpes de Haute Provence.  Life will be much quieter and, with two weeks to cover the area, -  very laid back and relaxed.