Sunday, April 13, 2008

Quel temps fait il?! April 11th

I woke up to the sound of rain pelting down on the skylights and my door rattling in the wind (chateaux are drafty!!).  Not good for a day of sightseeing in the mountains on a train?!!  I watched and waited but, when it looked like it wasn't going to clear anytime soon, I decided to stay put and try the train another day.  Fortunately I still have a week so it will get done!!  I have found some of the climbing requires sure footing so didn't really want to attempt the twists and turns to the citadel in Entrevaux on wet stones..much less soaking wet!!

The apartment is cozy and I had no problem snuggling in and reading, looking at maps and travel books and listening to the rain and wind (a mistral?!) off and on through the morning.  It stopped at one point so I walked down to the village to mail some postcards.  Another break awhile later and I went to the epicerie for a few more supplies...including some Diet Coke.  (I've been craving it for a few days now! Not as good as the Canadian version but when in Rome...!!)  Just before 3, cabin fever was setting in.  I could see patches of blue sky so headed out for some fresh air.  I decided to head down the country road to the south of the village towards the Verdon River (about 3 km).  The road was virtually deserted - only met a few cars - so I had my own private (and paved!) walking path!

Maybe it is the power of suggestion or maybe it's just the fact that it's been a long, bleak winter at home, but the colours do seem more vibrant here!  The sky was a deep blue (not in this photo though!) and the fields were various shades and tones of green.  Mix in the ochre and it was a palette of colour!  Oh to be able to paint!

St. Laurent du Verdon 007

It was so quiet and peaceful...and warm! (No snowfall warning here, Bev!)  I even heard a cuckoo!  I'm so used to the clock at Mom and Dad's that I'd started counting before I realized that this was the real thing!  It didn't stop at 12!

The river is the same "verdon" as the lake and canyon and with the white cliffs along and the sun shining was a picture waiting to be captured!!  I am trying to limit myself though and only took a couple...or three...

St. Laurent du Verdon 015

It was starting to cloud over again as I came back so I'm glad I got out when I did.  I feel refreshed and ready to settle in for the evening.  Tomorrow I will either try to do the train trip or, if the weather is still less than ideal, will drive down to Aups for the market there.  There are a few villages in that area that I'd like to see - Tourtour ("village in the sky") and Regusse that has a "Moulin Rouge/Daudet style" windmill.  Either way, it will be another exciting day!

I picked up some stones on my walk in those wonderful ochre colours to remind me next winter!  When I got back here, I noticed that the colour wasn't as vibrant?!  It really must be the light! A good thing I guess or my suitcase would be even heavier for the next month and a halft!!

Here are some of the the colours of the chateau!  Again, you really do have to be here to fully capture it all!!  But, here is the next best thing!

St. Laurent du Verdon 034